July 12, 2015
A. Policy Statement
The American Professional Mariners Association (APMA) communicates and connects through many different social media websites and platforms. The APMA, as a 501(c)(6) non-profit association, has implemented this Social Media Policy, Guidelines, and Consent to Use. All communications from the APMA and on APMA-branded platforms within social media websites follow these guidelines to create a productive and engaging dialogue.
The APMA encourages professional mariners to explore APMA’s programs and enrollment and to join the global dialogue about the marine industry. The APMA also encourages dialogue about relevant topics including, but not limited to the importance of financial literacy, ongoing professional education and the value of sharing experiences at sea with other maritime professionals.
These guidelines pertain to APMA--branded platforms within certain social media websites. The term “APMA-branded platforms” encompasses those branded as, but are not limited to:
- Facebook: facebook.com/AmericanProfessionalMarinersAssociation
- Twitter: @Mariner_Connect
- Google+: google.com/+Americanmanriners.org
- YouTube: American Professional Mariners Association - APMA
By using APMA or APMA-branded platforms within social media websites, users agree that the information posted may be repurposed for certain uses by APMA. As a condition of use, users also acknowledge and agree with the following statements:
- APMA does not control, own, or operate any social media websites.
- APMA-branded social media platforms are not continuously monitored; therefore, in the event of an emergency requiring immediate assistance, the most appropriate emergency services should be contacted.
- APMA will respond to relevant comments, when, in APMA’s sole judgment, a response is appropriate.
- APMA will respond to relevant comments through channels that are most appropriate, including its own website and social media platforms, and will not address comments or questions on third-party sites.
- APMA expects that participants on branded social media platforms treat each other with respect and, as a participant, users agree to do so.
- All discussions should focus on topics related to the APMA. The APMA reserves the right to remove off-topic comments. Therefore, as a participant, agree to focus their comments on topics related to the APMA.
- All comments should contribute to the dialogue (and claims should be supported with links to sources whenever possible). As a participant, users agree to do so.
- APMA does not accept promotional posts, including advertisements for commercial or business transaction and/or recruitment of any kind. As a participant, you agree to avoid such posts.
- The APMA does not permit vulgar or abusive language, personal attacks of any kind, or offensive terms targeting individuals or groups. As a participant, users agree to avoid such language, attacks and terms.
- The APMA does not endorse, support, verify, or agree with comments, messages, opinions, or any type of content and/or statements posted by third-parties to APMA-branded social media platforms.
- The APMA is not responsible for protecting any information posted on APMA-branded platforms within social media sites.
The APMA reserves the right to moderate and/or delete comments if they:
- Appear to be spam or trolling the page.
- Promote unapproved services or products.
- Incite, promote or encourage criminal activities.
- Are clearly off-topic.
- Are offensive comments that target or disparage any ethnic, racial or religious group(s).
- Compromise the security, safety, or health of the public.
- Contain pornography, solicitation, defamatory, or sexually explicit material.
- Promote or advertise an unapproved commercial or business transaction.
- Engage in vulgar or abusive language, personal attacks of any kind, or offensive terms targeting individuals or groups.
- Endorse or oppose political parties, candidates, or groups.
- Violate copyright and fair use laws.
- Contain personally identifiable information.
The APMA reserves the right to delete any comment, and/or ban any user, at any time and for any reason, including, without limitation, those who are repeat offenders of violating this policy. APMA reserves the right to modify or change these guidelines without notice.
C. Consent to Use of Information
By using APMA-branded platforms within social media websites, users agree that any comments or other information they post publicly may be repurposed for use by APMA.
For example, APMA may use such comments, without limitation, to repurpose and share throughout the different APMA social platforms. If APMA decides to use your content across our social media platforms, we will not include any personally identifiable information such as your name, age, likeness or other personally identifying characteristics without your express permission.
If you have comments or other questions that are not answered here, please contact us http://www.americanmariners.org/contact-us. APMA looks forward to hosting and engaging in a productive dialogue with all mariners on APMA-branded social media websites.